Stapleford Town Council Meeting 14th October 2016
Meeting of Stapleford Town Council
Friday 14th October 2016 at 7.30p.m.
In the Carnegie Centre, Warren Avenue, Stapleford, Notts.
1 Apologies for absence
(The Town Clerk will report any apologies for absence she has received in writing prior to
the start of the meeting.)
2 Declarations of interest
(Members will be invited to declare any interests they may have on any item to be
discussed at the meeting. They will also be advised that should it become apparent to any
Member during the meeting that they do have an interest in a particular item they should
alert the Chair and the Town Clerk immediately.)
3 Minutes of the Town Council Meeting held on 2nd September 2016
4 Request(s) made by any member of the public to address the Town Council
5 Mayor’s Engagements
6 Parliamentary Boundary Changes
(Please see: www.boundarycommissionforengland.independent.gov.uk)
7 Town Centre Management Team (TCT)
(To receive feedback from The Town Clerk)
(To receive: Feedback as appropriate)
9 Christmas Lights –Feedback
10 Neighbourhood Planning
(To receive: Feedback regarding this matter)
11 Update Re Computer System
12 Audit Report
(To receive: Feedback regarding this matter)
13 Pasture Road Parking Issues
(This item is placed on the Agenda at the request Councillor R MacRae)
Broxtowe Borough Council – Field Farm – The Town Clerk has been informed that the Planning Inspectorate has decided to change the appeal procedure, (re Field Farm), from written representations to a hearing. Provisionally 13 December 2016. For Information
Councillor Stan Heptinstall – Nottinghamshire County Council Town Centre Regeneration Programme. The Town Clerk has been informed that Stapleford has not been included in this programme and that Broxtowe Borough Council submitted a request to Nottinghamshire County Council for funding under this heading for Beeston Town Centre, only. This item is included For Information following previous correspondence regarding this matter.
Shale Wealth Fund – Government Consultation – For information please see https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/544241/shale_wealth_fund_final_pdf-a.pdf
13 Items For Future Agenda
(The Leader of the Town Council invites Members to submit items for inclusion on future
Agenda for Town Council Meetings. Any items submitted this evening are not for
discussion at this meeting but may be considered for a future date.)
(To note the payment schedule.)
15 Change of Date of Town Council Meeting. It is proposed by the Leader of the Town Council that the scheduled date of the Town Council Meeting of 6th January 2017 be put back a week to 13th January 2017. This request is made to allow for full budgetary information to be received from Broxtowe Borough Council.
16 Date of next meeting. The next Meeting of Stapleford Town Council will be held on
Friday, 25th November 2016 at 7.00p.m.
TOWN COUNCIL MEETING
HELD ON 2nd September 2016
Cllr Mrs C Bollen Cllr Mrs A J Hull Cllr D Pearson
Cllr R Browne Cllr J Longdon Cllr C Rice
Cllr R Darby Cllr R MacRae Cllr Mrs S Roome
Cllr Ms J Townend
Prior to the commencement of the Meeting the Town Clerk welcomed the Town Mayor back to Civic Duties following her recent health issues.
53/2017 Apologies for absence
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors :A Britton, Ms J C Goold, E B Hull and
Declarations of interest
Councillors: R Darby, Mrs A Hull and J M Townend declared a non-pecuniary interest regarding the Town Council Allotments.
Councillors: R Darby, J Longdon, R MacRae, and C Rice declared an interest regarding any matter relating to Broxtowe Borough Council by dint of their status as serving Councillors on Broxtowe Borough Council.
Councillor: R MacRae declared a non-pecuniary interest regarding the Town Centre Team.
Minutes of the Town Council Meeting held on 29th July 2016
The Minutes of the Town Council Meeting held on 29th July 2016 were approved and signed by
the Town Mayor.
It was noted that Councillor Darby had not stated as part of the proceedings of the Meeting: 41/2017 that he had continuously been lobbying re the issues on Brookhill Street and the Town Council. This was agreed following a request from Councillor MacRae that this be noted in the Minutes of this Meeting.
56/2017 Request(s) made by any member of the public to address the Town Council
The Town Clerk reported that she had received no requests to address this Meeting.
57/2017 Mayor’s Engagements
The Town Clerk apologised to Members for the unavailability of a printed version of the Mayor’s Engagements, this was due to serious computer issues being experienced with the Town Council’s IT System and she asked the Meeting for forbearance regarding this issue.
It was noted that the Town Mayor would be attending the Stapleford Carnival on Saturday 3rd September 2016 and the Broxtowe Borough Council Civic Service in October 2016.
The Town Clerk drew the Meetings attention to the next Village Ventures event on 20th October 2016 and encouraged Members to attend this gig being given by the ‘After Hours Quintet’.
Cllr Mrs Susan Roome, Town Mayor, wished to thank the Deputy Town Mayor, Councillor Chris Rice and Past Town Mayors, Councillors: Ray Darby and Mrs Amanda Hull for deputising for her over the summer period when she was unwell.
58/2017 Remembrance Sunday
The Town Clerk reported that she made the necessary provisions with regard to the road closures, PA system and use of the Walter Parker VC Square for the events and that the formal Remembrance Service and 11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month event will be held as in previous years.
Councillor MacRae questioned the order of wreath laying at the Remembrance Sunday Service and the Town Clerk once again this year confirmed that the Order of Wreath Laying was officially laid down and that Civic Dignitaries were led by the Town Mayor prior to any uniformed or civilian organisation.*
The Town Clerk appealed for assistance with regard to stewarding at the main Remembrance Sunday Service and thanked Councillors: Mrs Hull, Pearson and Ms Townend for their commitment. Members were asked to commit to assisting with stewarding; if sufficient volunteers do not come forward it may be necessary to employ extra staff to ensure this event is a success.
*Following this Meeting the Town Clerk had occasion to discuss the Order of Wreath Laying with her colleague in the Civic Office at Nottinghamshire County Council who confirmed that the Order was as followed by the Town Council for the preceding 20 years. Further the Town Clerk was also advised that should registered political parties wish to lay a wreath such bodies should be accommodated immediately after Civic Dignitaries.
For information: the Order is as follows: Town Mayor, Broxtowe Borough Council Representative,
M P or their Representative, Nottinghamshire County Councillor, Others.
The Town Clerk trusts that this will be the end of this discussion.
Councillor MacRae declared an interest in the following item.
59/2017 Town Centre Management Team (TCT)
The Town Clerk reported that she had attended a recent meeting held by the TCT. For Members
information the Town Clerk reported that the TCT:
- Was still investigating the provision of free wifi in the Town Centre.
- Was still not happy at losing the management of the Christmas event.
- Was looking into floral arrangements for 2016.
- The re-arranged Meeting scheduled to be held on 1st September had been cancelled.
Councillors: R Darby, Mrs A Hull and Ms J M Townend declared an interest in the following item.
The Town Clerk gave an oral report re: the Town Council Allotments and it was noted that both The Leader of the Town Council and the Town Clerk had inspected the allotment sites.
Councillor MacRae raised the issue of weeds growing through from the allotment sites at Nottingham Road.
The Town Clerk informed the Meeting that this maintenance issue was the responsibility of the individual plotholders who rented plots adjacent to the fence onto the twitchell from Cemetery Road. It was agreed that the Town Clerk would make contact with the SDGA and plotholders re this matter.
61/2017 Neighbourhood Planning
The Town Clerk reported that a meeting for interested individuals had been held on 23rd August 2016 and that given the small number of attendees it had been agreed that the Town Clerk would Chair a general meeting to discuss the future of this project. Five sub Groups had been established to move the Plan forward and garner ideas for the direction of the plan.
It had been agreed that the next meeting would be held on 15th September 2016 when it was hoped that the Steering Group could be established with a Chair and Vice Chair. Members were invited to attend this meeting and to encourage local residents and businesses to become involved. A report re the progress of this project would e made to the next Meeting of the Town Council.
A number of local residents were not happy regarding the inclusion of this item on the Agenda and had approached the Town Clerk stating their disquiet and their feelings that it gave the wrong impression of the Town.
Following discussion it was agreed that the Town Clerk should write to the Police and Crimes
Commissioner requesting that he set up a campaign in Stapleford to highlight the problems related
to drug taking and its associated activities.
- Broxtowe Borough Council: Site Allocation Potential Additional Sites Consultation as Part 2 Local Plan
Meeting considered this matter and expressed a number of concerns regarding this exercise:
- Councillor Pearson commented on the loss of Green belt and the joining of the contiguous settlements adjacent to Stapleford that would result in the loss of any buffer zone between Nottingham City and the surrounding settlements.
- While not part of Stapleford possible proposals to exploit the land currently owned by the Whitehill’s Federation and operating as part of the Bramcote Schools infrastructure gave cause for concern in particular with regard to the possible increased traffic that would need to utilise Coventry Lane/Ilkeston Road, from any development on this site and also the loss of green space.
- Further it was recognised that this area was within the green belt, and was yet another erosion of the valuable corridor which separated the settlements of Bramcote and Stapleford.
- Members were very concerned regarding the inclusion of Bramcote Park in this consultation. Again while outside the Parish Boundary this area had close associations with the Town and was another important green belt buffer. The Town Council was unanimous in commenting that Bramcote Park should not be included and while it was recognised that there is no imminent intention of building on Bramcote Park it inclusion in this consultation would make it more vulnerable in the future should policies change.
- Councillor Pearson raised the issues of ‘deliverable’ and ‘non-deliverable’ in relation to the development of areas currently designated within the Greenbelt. He felt it was important to ensure that areas of farm/grazing land within the currently designated Greenbelt should be retained. He was particularly concerned with regard to land off Coventry Lane and Moor Farm and the Meeting echoed his concerns.
- Should development of such Greenbelt sites take place, in the future, the impact on the roads adjacent to Stapleford would cause severe problems to residents of the Town and its surroundings in terms of access and egress from the main gateways.
- The Town Council was most concerned that Stapleford and Bramcote must retain their greenbelt boundaries to ensure that the two settlements do not coalesce into Nottingham City. In the future should development happen on the Bramcote Hills Golf Course site this would connect Bramcote and Wollaton, removing the current green belt boundary.
- Councillor Pearson was aware that developers are keen to build on allocation sites H123 and H356 in Stapleford and at H104 on the Bramcote side of Coventry Lane. (This was knowledge acquired at the Enquiry into the Core Strategy). These areas were listed in the SHLAA as ‘could be suitable for policy changes’. Should these changes be allowed ‘creep in development ‘could result, with Field Farm, Stapleford, Latimer Drive/Sloan Drive area of Bramcote Moor/Wollaton and Balloon Woods, Wollaton coalescing into one development. Such an outcome would be most unwelcome and such development would be opposed by this Council.
- The Town Clerk was instructed to forward this full minute reference to Broxtowe Borough Council as the Town Council’s comments regarding this consultation.
- Councillors were reminded that they may. If they wish, submit separate comments on the official forms via the Broxtowe Borough Council Web Site. However such comments would be made on an individual basis and not on behalf of the Town Council.
- Nottinghamshire County Council: via: Lower Orchard Street, Stapleford- Potential Parking Restrictions (TRO 5219).
It was noted that Councillor Pearson had been lobbied by local residents regarding this item.
The Meeting supported these proposals.
64/2017 Items For Future Agenda
It was noted that there are a number of items to be reported back to the Town Council and no
further items were requested at this Meeting.
Payments were noted.
66/2017 Date of Next Meeting
The next meeting of the Town Council would be held on Friday, 14th October 2016, commencing
at 7.00 p.m. at the Carnegie Centre
STAPLEFORD TOWN COUNCIL
|Saturday, 24th September @ 2.00p.m.||Official Opening
210 Derby Road
|Saturday, 24th September @ 4.00p.m.||Presentation
|Sunday, 25th September @
|Broxtowe Borough Council
St Mary’s Church
|Thursday, 13th October @ 6.30p.m.||Awards Evening
The Bramcote School
|Thursday, 20th October @
7.00p.m. for 7.30p.m.
| Village Ventures
After Hours Quintet
St Helen’s Parish Church
|Town Mayor & Escort|
|Friday, 11th November @ 10.45a.m. for 11.00a.m.||11th Hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month Commemoration
WPVC Square, Stapleford followed by a reception at the Carnegie Centre
|Sunday, 14th November @ 9.30a.m. for 10.45a.m.||Remembrance Sunday Service
WPVC Square, Stapleford followed by a reception at the Carnegie Centre