Toton Confirmed As HS2 East Midlands Hub
BROXTOWE BOROUGH COUNCIL has welcomed an official announcement confirming Toton as the location of the Eastwood Midlands HS2 Hub Station.
The announcement was made by The Rt Hon Chris Grayling MP,
Secretary of State for Transport today (Tuesday 15th November).
In his report, he said that “having considered alternatives, the Government has chosen [Toton] as it is the best option for serving the whole East Midlands region, readily accessible from the cities of both Nottingham and Derby by a range of transport
modes, and because of the potential regeneration and job growth opportunities that a new station will present.”
“The Council is delighted to hear today’s announcement. The development of HS2 brings huge economic potential for the East Midlands
and Broxtowe Borough is perfectly positioned to secure maximum benefits for the local area in housing, jobs and connectivity” said Councillor Richard Jackson, Leader of Broxtowe Borough Council.
Some of the benefits include:
- Estimated £1.1 to £2.2 billion per year economic benefits to the East Midlands
- Between 30,000 and 90,000 additional employment opportunities in the D2N2 and Leicestershire area.
- Well integrated, high-quality local housing
- Improved connectivity and journey times to major cities including London, Birmingham, Leeds and Manchester
- Investment in infrastructure to ensure the smooth flow of passengers in and out of the area
Following technical work to assess potential alternative locations in 2015, Toton has remained the preferred option and the East Midlands
HS2 Strategic Board found that it demonstrated greater potential to deliver economic growth and boost connectivity to Birmingham and the north of England.
Further consultation work will continue and the next major milestone will be the Phase 2b Hybrid Bill in Parliament in 2019.