Stapleford lies on the border between Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire. To the north of Stapleford is Ilkeston and to the east is Beeston. To the west across the River Erewash is Sandiacre, and to the south is Toton.
Stapleford is part of Broxtowe Borough and the Broxtowe Parliamentary Constituency. From 1935 until 1974 Stapleford was paired with the town of Beeston in the Beeston and Stapleford Urban District, having previously been part of the Stapleford Rural District. The town was parished in 1987 and now has a town council.
The local MP is Anna Soubry of the Conservative Party from May 2010 and again since 2015, and the town is represented on Nottinghamshire County Council by the Liberal Democrats and also on Broxtowe Borough Council by Labour Party, Conservative Party and one Independent Councillor. The Town Council is a mixture of Labour Party, Conservative, Liberal Democrat, Stapleford Alliance and Independent Councillors since the election on 7th May 2015.
Stapleford’s origins can be traced to before Norman times. In the churchyard of St Helen’s church is the Stone Cross which dates back to Saxon times and is said to be the oldest Christian memorial in the Midlands. Stapleford owed its development in part to its closeness to the River Trent and the River Erewash as the town became a central point for trade. The area also expanded during the late 18th century when the stocking hose trade thrived in the Midlands. Evidence of this history can be found today with the original Stocking Knitters Houses still standing alongside more modern properties and shops such as on Nottingham Road. The main crossroads in Stapleford at the junction of Nottingham Road, Derby Road, Toton Lane and Church Street is called The Roach. The name is from the time when French prisoners from the Napoleonic Wars were set the task of cutting through rock to create roads and this was referred to as the ‘La Roche’.
Stapleford is also home to the Hemlock Stone, which is situated on Stapleford Hill. It is approximately 200 million years old, dating back to the Triassic Period. Many theories surround why it exists.
During March 2006, a new NHS Health Centre and ‘Walk-In Centre’ was opened in the town (the Walk in Centre is now closed) A Sainsbury’s local was opened on the site of the former Total petrol station in 2007. The town is often referred to informally as “Stabbo”.
More recently it is the home of the Full Mash microbrewery, currently producing 5 BBL. The brewery regularly features in the Locale scheme.
Well travelled Scottish footballer Tom Johnston, football manager and player.
Arthur Mee, the writer, journalist and educator, was born in Stapleford in 1875.
Gallipoli hero Walter Richard Parker, VC, lived in Stapleford and is buried in the town cemetery.
Dave Watson, who was a defender in the Sunderland team that won the FA Cup in 1973, was born in Stapleford in 1946.
Sir John Borlase Warren, an 18th century MP for Nottingham and an admiral, lived in Stapleford. The now closed Happy Man and Warren Arms pubs were named after him and his family.
John Radford, wine and food writer, author and broadcaster, grew up in Stapleford from 1949-1965
Schools and colleges
Albany Infant and Nursery School
Albany Junior School
Fairfield Primary School
Wadsworth Fields Primary School (formerly Fredrick Harrison’s Infant school & Stevenson’s Junior School)
St John’s C of E Primary School (The oldest building still in use as a school in Nottinghamshire)
William Lilley Infant and Nursery School
George Spencer Academy
George Spencer sixth form
Road transport is the primary method of transport in and out of the area. East Midlands Airport is approximately 16 kilometres away, the airport provides domestic and international routes, focused mainly on EU/EEA/Swiss routes.
Bus services operate to Nottingham, Derby, Beeston, Ilkeston and other local towns.