Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

Homeowners are urged to check their home security measures before going away this summer

4th June 2013 Police Alerts, Update & Messages. Tags: 0 Comments

As the holiday season begins, Nottinghamshire Police are reminding people of some simple measures they can take to protect their homes.
*  Try and ask a trusted neighbour, friend or family member to check your home whilst you’re away and make your home looked occupied by collecting mail or leaving a car on the driveway, especially if you’re taking a caravan from your property;

*  Make use of timer switches so that lamps come on in your house after dark. You could also leave a radio on or consider investing in a ‘fake tv’ device;

* Ensure all windows and doors are locked; 

* Where possible set your intruder alarm if you have one; 

* Remove any ladders or bins that could potentially be used to access your home;

*  Make sure that all access points are secured such as gates and activate any external security lighting that you may have;

*  Secure any outbuildings, garages or sheds;

* If you normally leave valuable bicycles or other items in your shed, consider storing them in the house if possible, or ensure they are chained together and secured to an anchor point. Also ensure valuables are clearly property marked;

*  Make sure your valuables are not on view in your home;

* Consider marking your property and keep a list of the make, model and serial number of these items. Take photos of any valuable items. For further property marking advice please refer to our Protecting your valuables at home guide or contact the Pre Crime Unit on ext 800 3011 or via email

* Register your valuables online on the national property database at , you can register almost any kind of item on the database free of charge. Immobilise helps Police to reunite stolen items with their rightful owners;

* Cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries if you have them;

* Avoid discussing travel plans where strangers may overhear about your absence from home;

* Make sure your contents and buildings insurance is valid and up to date. 

If you see anything unusual in your area report it to us on 101 or 999 in an emergency.  

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



%d bloggers like this: