Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

Drink driver caught a second time after falling off the wagon

9th June 2016 Latest News, Nottingham Evening Post Tags: , , , 0 Comments

A quarter of a mile trip to buy liquor led to a second driving ban for a 64-year-old drink driver who had recently fallen off the wagon.

John Henshaw was caught after his Renault Megane was seen to “kangaroo” when pulling away from the Sainsbury’s store at Stapleford, a court heard today.


A shop assistant contacted police, who went to his home on Copeland Avenue in the town.

“He went to the Sainsbury’s store and brought some alcohol and was then seen driving away,” Daniel Paulson, prosecuting, told Nottingham Magistrates’ Court.

“He was heavily in drink and failed a roadside breath test.” Mr Paulson told the hearing that Henshaw had a drink-drive conviction in 2007 when he was given a community order and banned from the roads.

Henshaw pleaded guilty to driving with 80 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath on May 23. The legal limit is 35.

He was given a three-year disqualification – the minimum allowed when drivers have committed the offence twice in a decade. Henshaw must also pay a £210 fine, £85 prosecution costs and a £30 government surcharge.

Chris Saunders, mitigating, said Henshaw had been a hard-working man who battled a drink problem. He managed to abstain from alcohol for several years before starting again.

“This is a very sad case in many ways,” Mr Saunders told the court. “He is a man with no cautions, no reprimands, no warnings, no nothing except for the previous excess alcohol.

“John Henshaw is certainly not one of the youngest people to be before a court and is a man who has been employed in a variety of excellent occupations, starting as a painter and decorator.”

After his first conviction, Henshaw stopped drinking but recently started again “for whatever reason”.

He had now managed to halt again and had registered for Alcoholics Anonymous, attending meetings eight times a week.

As a result of the incident, Henshaw’s car had been seized by police and crushed.

Mr Saunders added: “He had turned his life around and lapsed and will now turn it round again. He made the journey from his home to Sainsbury’s to buy alcohol.”

Henshaw told the court: “It was a quarter mile, only down the road.”

Presiding magistrate Peter Forster told him: “I accept it was a short journey but it doesn’t take much to cause serious injuries.

“The court has to look at this in a very serious way. We are aware of the circumstances concerning this and how you are dealing with those issues.”

Henshaw also pleaded guilty to driving without insurance or a licence. The court heard that he failed to renew his licence when the first ban ran out.

Read more:
Follow us: @Nottingham_Post on Twitter | NottinghamPostOnline on Facebook

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



%d bloggers like this: