Paste your Google Webmaster Tools verification code here

Universal Credit, Help and Support.

14th October 2018 Broxtowe Borough Council, Help & Advice, Stapleford Community Group, The Haven Tags: 3 Comments

Provision for people who are able to make a claim themselves and need computer access.

Beeston Library
Opening times :

Mon, Wed, Thurs, Friday 9.00am – 6.00pm
Tues 9.00am – 7.00pm
Saturday 9.00am – 4.00pm

9 adult laptops available for public use during the above times.

Stapleford Library
Opening times:

Monday & Thursday 9.00 am – 7.00pm
Tuesday 9.00am to 1.00pm
Weds closed
Friday & Saturday 9.30am – 1.00pm

4 adult laptops available for public use during the above times.

Beeston Job Centre
Have 2 computers for people to access – some help available to assist with IT skills but limited.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm
Wednesday 10.00am to 5.00pm

Middle Street Resource Centre
Have 5 Laptops available for public use
Telephone: 0115 9252516 (weekdays 9-5 ) or call into the centre

Hope, Boundary Road, Beeston
Mondays – Jobsearch Club 10.00am
Wednesdays – Adult Computer Club 1.30pm
Telephone: 0303 040 1110

The Haven, Wadsworth Road, Stapleford
Jobquest: Thursdays and Fridays from 10.00am
Phone: 0115 824 0287

Provision for people who need help applying for UC, when the UC claim is complex, or when the claim has gone wrong for some reason:

Citizens Advice Broxtowe (Beeston office)
From 14 November 2018 additional afternoon sessions dedicated to applying for UC.

We will be offering appointments on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 1.00pm to 4.00pm where advisers will assist with UC applications online. (last appointment 3.00pm)

Telephone: 0115 9173801 to book an appointment or call into our reception in the Council Offices, Beeston

Our normal drop-in sessions will continue to operate in Beeston as usual at the following times:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 10.00 am to 1.00 pm

We also have a welfare benefits team that will assist with appeals and tribunal work.

To access this please call into one of our drop in sessions above.

Universal Credit – FAQs

Q: What is Universal Credit
A: Universal Credit (UC) is a new working-age benefit being introduced gradually across the country as part of the government’s welfare reforms if you’re on a low income or out of work.

Universal Credit replaces:
• Jobseeker’s Allowance
• Housing Benefit
• Working Tax Credit
• Child Tax Credit
• Employment and Support Allowance
• Income Support

Q: How is Universal Credit different?
A: There are several key differences between UC and the existing benefits listed above:
• UC is paid monthly in one payment
• The application is made and managed online
• Claimants will have to sign a claimant commitment and meet the terms of this to receive their payments
• UC will include payment towards housing costs and the claimant will have to arrange for this to be paid to their landlord

Q: How do I claim?
A: Claims must be made online at

Before making a claim, you need to gather the following information and have it ready:
• your postcode
• your National Insurance number
• details of the bank, building society or Post Office account you want Universal Credit paid into
• your rent agreement (if you have one)
• details of your savings or other capital
• details of any income that’s not from work (e.g. from an insurance plan)
• details of any other benefits you’re getting
• You might also need these details for people who live in your home, e.g. your partner.

Q: I’m not online, how can I make a claim?
A: If you haven’t got your own pc, then try to use a computer belonging to a friend or member of your family. There are also places in the Borough where you can access a computer for free. See Support in the north and Support in the south posters.

Q: I’m struggling with my claim, can I get help?
A: Support is available to help you complete your application at the Job Centre and via Citizens Advice Broxtowe. See Support in the north and Support in the south posters.

Q: I’ve made a claim, what do I do now?
A: Make an application for a Discretionary Housing Payment if you are affected by the benefit cap or under occupancy charges and you are experiencing financial hardship.

1. Contact the Rents Team at Broxtowe or your landlord to advise them that you have made a claim and discuss how you will be making payments for your rent
2. Make a claim for council tax support – see below for more info
3. Make a claim for Discretionary Housing Payments if you are affected by the benefit cap or under occupancy charges or have a shortfall to make up and are experiencing financial hardship.
4. Set up Direct Debits to pay your important bills (rent, council tax, fuel and water) on the day that your UC is paid to help with budgeting
5. Prepare a budget to help you manage the change from fortnightly to monthly payments. Why not try using an online budget planner? (Opens in a New Window)
6. Book an appointment with Citizens Advice to discuss any debts you may have and how to manage these effectively
7. Respond to any requests for information from the DWP or Job Centre as quickly as possible so that your claim is not delayed
8. Request an advance payment via the Job Centre to cover the period whilst your claim is being assessed (please be aware that you will have to pay this back and the DWP will deduct an amount each month from your UC payment to cover this)

Q: What about Council Tax Support?
A: Help with council tax is not included in your UC payment. You must apply for council tax support directly through our benefits service once you have applied for UC. If you don’t apply for your council tax support at this time, you may not receive your maximum entitlement. You can do this online at

Q: What about Discretionary Housing Payments?
A: If you are entitled to the Housing Element of UC (which replaces Housing Benefit) then your circumstances may mean you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) if you are affected by the benefit cap, under occupancy charge or have a shortfall to make up and are experiencing financial hardship.

There is more information and an application form to fill out at or contact Customer Services if you need help completing the form.

Q: I’m struggling with the changes to my payments and am finding it difficult to make ends meet.
A: If you are struggling with the changes to your payments, finding it difficult to make ends meet or having a problem with your claim there are plenty of people who can help.

The important thing is not to delay in making contact and getting the advice you need.

• Turn2Us is a National Charity who provide financial support to help people get back on track. Please visit to see what benefits you are entitled to.
• Citizens Advice – Broxtowe Borough Council works closely with Citizens Advice to provide support to residents of the borough. For more information about their opening times and contact details please visit
• Broxtowe’s Financial Inclusion Officer – Broxtowe employs a financial inclusion officer who can help you with budgeting, benefits and accessing funding. This service is available to Broxtowe’s tenants only. For more information or to arrange an appointment with Rochelle please call the Customer Services Team.
• If you are a Broxtowe Borough Council tenant and need advice about your Rent Account or to set up a payment plan please contact the Rents Recovery Team on 0115 917 7777.

Anyone wanting a copy of the information leaflet below please email and we will send it you.


  1. Here is some additional information with regards the Universal Credit Help & Support document Stapleford Community Group published recently.
    Firstly, this is a great source of information, so thank you to everyone involved in creating it, however I would like to add that Hope Nottingham in fact runs 3 Job Clubs, only one of which has been mentioned in this document. Our Job Clubs are:
    • Monday, 10am-12pm, Hope House, Boundary Road, Beeston
    • Tuesday, 10am-12pm, Beeston Library
    • Wednesday, 10am-12pm, Hope House, Boundary Road, Beeston
    These are in addition to the Adult Computer Club which will also serve as a means of assisting people with UC claims as and when it is required.

    Chris Dilks
    Business Development Manager
    Hope Nottingham

    • staplefordcommunitygroup 3 years Reply

      All credit to Broxtowe Borough Council.

  2. Chris Dilks 3 years Reply

    Hi guys

    Does anyone know how the funding for the Personal Budgeting Support and Assisted Digital Support has been distributed by the DWP in preparation for the UC rollout? It seems to me that all the organisations listed as sources of support in the above document are going to be providing these services, and I am keen to know how many of them have acquired any of the funds to enable to do that more effectively.

    Should you have any information concerning this, I would be grateful if you could send it to me in an email at:

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *



%d bloggers like this: