Universal Credit Coming Soon
The key to a successful claim is to act promptly
• Make the claim as soon as you have a change of circumstances as backdating is only available in exceptional cases.
• Respond to requests for information as quickly as possible
• Don’t delay in asking for help with your claim
There is support available to help you with your application
• If you can complete your application yourself but need computer access, there are places available where you can use a computer for free.
• If you need help with you application, there is help available to support you through the process. (Please see the FAQs on pages 8-10 for details of support).
There is support available if you’re worried about budgeting
• If you’re a Council tenant, the Council’s Financial Inclusion Officer can support you with budgeting advice.
• If you’re a Council tenant and need advice about your Rent Account or to set up a payment plan please contact the Rents Recovery Team on 0115 917 7777.
• If you’re a private tenant, there are places to go to get help with personal budgeting. (Please see the FAQs on pages 8-10 for details of support).
Council Tax Support is not included in Universal Credit
• If a claimant is entitled to Universal Credit they may also be eligible for Council Tax Support.
• Applications for Council Tax Support need to be made directly to the Council either via the website or a paper application.