Bell Restored At Stapleford Cemetery
The Bell at Stapleford Cemetery will ring 12 bells at 12 from 8th February, refurbished by the company who originally supplied it 134 years ago.
John Taylor Bell Foundry returned to the site, 134 years after they first installed it to collect the bell and it has since been reinstalled, the bell will ring 12 bells at midday each day and may also be used as part of burial services and events.
The £8,318.00 project had been funded jointly by Broxtowe Borough Council and Stapleford Town Council. Broxtowe Borough Council hope to renovate the old chapel, but a use needs to be found for the grade 2 listed building.
Since 2010 various phases of restoration works have taken place, including demolition of the 1950’s extensions and the reinstatement of the trefoil windows where they had been removed for extension access.
In 2012, the chapel roof was refurbished and in 2014/15 the mortuary roof along with the Notts Ogee cast iron rainwater goods and spire were refurbished and failed stones were replaced, along with the renovation of the remaining iron work. There’s still a long way to go, but having a use for the building will dramatically increase its chances.
The building itself was a gift to the people of Stapleford in 1880 by Mr Joseph Fearfield and the bell was cast in 1885.