Motion to Reinstate an Allotments Steering Group passed by Stapleford Town Council at last nights meeting.
Motion proposed by Councillor Sue Paterson and seconded by Councillor John Hawkins
After accompanying Tony Smith, one of our caretakers, on an inspection of the five allotments sites, it is clear that we should be doing more as a Council to promote them to the general public for letting. They are a key source of income and a highly valuable asset, yet many remain overgrown and unoccupied.
Whilst Tony has been doing his best to take on the task of looking after the unlet allotments (much of this in his spare time, on a voluntary basis), and has been successful in increasing the uptake of allotments lettings for the Council, this is a big job for one person to undertake on their own. Thus, I propose the reinstatement of an Allotments Working Group; the last meeting of such a group was in 2017.
The Council notes the report of Councillor Paterson and therefore resolves to:
1. Reinstate a Steering Group which would comprise of:
• Members of the Council
• Members of the Stapleford & District Garden Holders Association
• Representatives of the Dig In Community Project
• Plot holders
• Interested members of the public
• Other parties who are deemed to have a special interest in the allotments as decided by the Steering Group.
2. Aims and objectives:
• Consider the running of the allotments
• Consider improvements and enhancements of the allotments
• Consider promotion of the allotments
• Consider how allotments can provide benefit to the wider community through ongoing projects or one-off events
• Make presentations and recommendations to Stapleford Town Council on such matters.
3. Debate and consider for implementation any presentations and recommendations made by the Working Group.
4. Convene a meeting of the Steering Group at the earliest opportunity.
5. Meet at least quarterly and more often if issues of an urgent nature arise.