Heroes Honoured For Armed Forces Day
The Mayor of the Borough of Broxtowe, Councillor Richard MacRae, raised a specially commissioned Armed Forces Day Flag in The Square, Beeston on Monday 21 June at 11.00am to mark a week of events being held across the country.
Colonel Gavin Hatcher OBE from 170 (Infrastructure Support) Engineer Group Royal Engineers joined Councillor MacRae to raise the flag and address representatives from the Royal British Legion and uniformed organisations to show our support and recognise the contributions of all those who serve or have served in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces.
“With the easing of some COVID restrictions, I’m glad that we can have our usual flag raising ceremony in Beeston Square this year. Flying this flag is our way of showing gratitude for all the Armed Forces do,” said Councillor Richard MacRae.
“The Armed Forces Service personnel not only make personal sacrifices to protect the UK and its interests both overseas and on home soil, they are also playing a key role in the country’s response to the pandemic from helping to build vaccine sites, to supporting community testing and providing clinical support to the NHS. I would like to thank all of them working tirelessly to defend the County and protecting our lives no matter what we are facing.”
This year’s Armed Forces Day will take place on Saturday 26 June to honour the British Armed Forces past and present, service families, reservists and cadets. You can mark Armed Forces Day with family at home.
Five things you can do to mark Armed Forces Day 2021
- SALUTE OUR FORCES – you can learn how to salute like Service personnel at https://www.armedforcesday.org.uk/get-involved/saluteourforces/(Opens in a New Window) and share photos or videos with us of yourself and friends and colleagues saluting on our Facebook and Twitter by using #SaluteOurForces.
- Show the Armed Forces Day backdrop as the virtual meeting background – you can download and use one of Armed Forces Day new backdrops below as the virtual meeting background in the lead up to Armed Forces Day.
On the flight deck of aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth (.jpg) (581KB) (Opens in a New Window)
Inside a Challenger 2 Battle Tank (.jpg) (644KB) (Opens in a New Window)
Inside the cockpit of a RAF Typhoon (.jpg) (435KB) (Opens in a New Window)
- Picnic or BBQ in Your Own Garden – have a themed picnic or BBQ with your own family in the garden.
- Decorate your home for the Armed Forces Day – print off Armed Forces Day colouring-in sheets (.pdf) (667KB) (Opens in a New Window) and bunting (.pdf) (1.53MB) (Opens in a New Window) to decorate your home to mark the Armed Force Day.
- Bake a cake for the Armed Forces Day – bake a Union Jack cake with your children.